Neskonlith Housing Policy

Our mission is “to provide housing options for adequate, safe, affordable and energy efficient housing for our members that meets all applicable building standards.”

In 2015 Neskonlith created its Housing Policy. The Housing Policy is important to Band members because it provides a  framework to deliver the Housing Program in a manner that is unbiased, transparent and fair.

Have you ever wondered …
• How to apply for Neskonlith housing?
• What’s in a housing agreement?
• How rental rates are set?
• What happens if a tenant can’t pay rent?
• Whether you can transfer your tenancy to someone else?
• If you are eligible for shelter allowance?
• Whether you qualify for renovation funding?

You can find answers to these questions and more in the Neskonlith Housing Policy.

Neskonlith Housing Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does Neskonlith Indian Band have a Housing Policy?
A: Yes, NIB created a Housing Policy in 2010 and updated it in 2022.

Q: Where can I find the Housing Policy to review?
A: The Housing Policy is available at the Band Office and on the NIB website.

Q: What kind of general topics are covered by the Housing Policy?
A: The Housing Policy covers all subjects relevant to rental housing including housing application requirements, how rental homes are assigned, what is included in the rental agreement, what happens in the event a tenant’s circumstances change, how rent is paid and rental rates, and home inspections. It also covers shelter allowances, renovations, and homeownership.

Q: What are the requirements for filling out a housing application?
A: To rent a NIB home, the tenant must be at least 18 years of age, or be at least 16 years old and be able to prove that they no longer live under parental control. Three letters of reference (e.g. from employer, social service worker, and/or previous landlords) need to be included by applicants. References may not be immediate relatives, the Chief, or members of council. Proof of sufficient income must also be provided. If existing tenants are applying to change homes, they must provide evidence of overcrowding or medical issues. And finally, applicants must not be in arrears with the Housing Department.

Q: What are the requirements to receive a shelter allowance?
A: The applicant must meet social assistance eligibility requirements and occupy the dwelling in question. Evidence must be provided of actual costs of bills for fuel, utilities, and rental agreements.

Q: How do I access funding for home renovations?
A: Funding for renovations to address structural, electrical, plumbing, heating, fire safety, or overcrowding are available through the Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) under Canadian Mortgage and Housing Commission (CMHC) for both homeowners and for rental units. Discuss options with a staff member of the Housing Department who may be able to make applications on your behalf for funding and provide a letter of support for loans. Homeowners may also apply to the NIB Market Housing Fund for renovation loans, or apply to Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) Capital Housing Renovations Program (CHRP) for major home repairs that extend the life of the house for a minimum of 10 years. Forgivable loans of up to $3,500 are available from the CMHC through Home Adaptations for Seniors’ Independence (HASI), which help Band members 65 years and over to adapt their home to make safety-related adjustments.

Q: What is the NIB Market Housing Fund?
A: The NIB Market Housing Fund provides Band members with mortgage security so that they may borrow from lenders for the purpose of building a new home, purchasing a home, renovating, or refinancing a home.

Q: How do I use the Market Housing Fund to: build a new home, make renovations, or refinance a home?
A: Through the NIB Market Housing Fund, a Band member will be able to take out a maximum loan of $200,000 for building, buying a new home, or refinancing, with 5% equity and a maximum Total Debt Servicing (TDS) ratio of 40%. Renovation loans of up to $75,000 are available, depending on the amortization period.

Q: Where do I find important housing documentation (i.e. rental agreement, notice of arrears, home inspection form, transfer of tenancy, notices of rent, eviction notice)?
A: Important housing documentation can be found in the Housing Policy in the appendices section or the Band Office.

Housing Policy
Home Inspections
Renovating Your Home
Build, Buy, or Refinance
Housing Committee